Nov 2, 2015

NEILAND NAILS STAGE THREE AS HARIFF MISSES AGAIN

Neiland celebrates as he crosses the line at Kuala Penyu
Stage 3 Winners (L-R) : Hariff Saleh (TSG), Krists Neiland (RBD) and Jos Koop (CCN)

Jersey leaders after Stage 3
The peloton passes a magnificent view

KUALA PENYU, 2 November 2015 : Youngster Krists Neilands of Latvia bagged his first stage win in a UCI sanctioned race but it was more heartbreak for local star Mohd Harrif Saleh at the Tour of Borneo today.
Neilands (Rietmu-Delfin Continental Cycling Team) reveled in a wet third stage, which saw riders covering 149.7km from Menumbok to Kuala Penyu, taking a close victory in in three hours, 25 minutes and five seconds.
Mohd Hariff (Terengganu Cycling Team) and CCN cycling Team's Jos Koop (Netherlands) came in second and third in the sprint finish.
A visibly delighted Neilands said he is hoping to add another win under his belt in stage four which will cover 149.5km from Tuaran to Kudat.
"I am really happy as this is the first time I have won a stage in a UCI (sanctioned) tour," said the 21-year-old.
"We pushed ahead after 100km and the team set me up perfectly for the finish.
"I have to thank the team as I could not have done it without them. I also enjoyed the rain today as it made for a more comfortable race (less hot).
"Tomorrow (stage four) is also a fairly flat stage and I believe we will approach it the same as we did today. I hope for another sprint finish.
"I definitely want to keep winning and will try my best to do so."
Mohd Hariff, however, has also set his sights on getting it right in stage four.
"I am a bit disappointed as I have come quite close to winning a stage twice here," said the 27-year-old, who came in third in stage two.
"I have won a stage here before and I believe I can do it again. I will try my best to win tomorrow (stage four) for Malaysia and my team".
Neiland's teammate Peeter Pruus (Estonia) also enjoyed a victory of his own as he took charge of the red jersey from Fatahillah Abdullah (Indonesia National Team) after winning the king of the mountains in Tangulian during the stage.
But Australian Craig Evers (Data #3 Symantec Racing Team), Koop and Fauzan Ahmad Lutfi (Police) maintained their yellow, green and white jerseys respectively.
Tour of Borneo is organized by Borneo International Cycling, held from 31st October to 4th November 2015. The 2.2 category Tour is sanctioned by the International Cycling Union (UCI) and is listed in UCI Asian Tour calendar, it is hoped to promote Sabah as the ultimate sports tourism destination in Malaysia, and promote cycling in the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment