Dec 27, 2011

MALAYSIA’S ANUAR MANAN AND MOHD ADIQ HUSAINIE TO LEAD THE DESTINY OF ASIA’S NEW SUPER TEAM AT LE TOUR DE LANGKAWI




28 December 2011, KUALA LUMPUR - Asia finally has a Pro Continental team with China-registered and Hong Kong-based Champion System Pro Cycling Team. They are considered for a wild card at the Giro d’Italia but for now they’re guaranteed to ride Le Tour de Langkawi with their new status from February 24 to March 4. The recruitment of Malaysian up and coming stars Anuar Manan, previously with Terengganu Pro Asia, and Mohd Adiq Husainie Othman, transferred from Australian outfit Drapac, will make Champion System a very popular team on the road.

“We always love to see Anuar in contention for winning sprints and Adiq is possibly Malaysia’s next big thing in cycling”, commented Le Tour de Langkawi chief operating officer Emir Abdul Jalal. “Our event will be the first step for them to conquer the world this year.”

“After so many years riding for continental Asian teams, it’s the right time for me to step up and join the Pro Continental level”, said Anuar who rode for Letua, Azad University, Geumsan Ginseng and Terengganu Pro Asia successively. “I’ve opted for Champion System because it’s going to be a very good team and they’ll give me opportunities to race in Europe and in the US as well. I’m attracted by Europe even more than the US because this is only one step for me. I hope it’ll lead me to a Pro Team after one year or two.”

“I’m very proud to be already able to ride at Pro Continental level at the age of only 21”, added Adiq. “I’m happy with that. It’s a great experience. This will be my third time riding LTdL. In my first participation in 2010, I managed to score KOM points and help my team-mate [Peter McDonald] fight for podium and KOM jersey. In 2011, I made some top 10 at stages. I hope I can do better in 2012. With the new team, my motivation is increased.”

Before riding LTdL with stage finishes in their respective home towns of Cukai and Kuala Terengganu, Adiq and Anuar will get to know their new team-mates at a gathering in Hong Kong, the team presentation in Beijing and a training camp in Hainan in January. “I’m more of a road rider now but I’ll ride the points race at the track world cup in Beijing to give a contribution to my country and qualify for the world championship in Melbourne in April”, Adiq said. Both riders from Champion System are also in contention for representing Malaysia at the London Olympics.

“For the coming Le Tour de Langkawi, I don’t want to win only one stage”, said Anuar who became the first Malaysian to do so in Port-Dickson in 2010. “I want to win more than one and get the blue jersey back. I believe that I’ll have the right team around me to achieve that, with riders like Aaron Kemps and Jaan Kirsipuu who have a great experience in leading out sprinters.”

“We will come to LTdL with a lot of ambition”, confirmed directeur sportif Ed Beamon. “It looks to be a very good field, and of course there will be some pressure on us as an Asian team, but I think we’ll be up for the task. Chris Butler will be anxious to test his legs on Genting for sure and we’ll try very hard to get Anuar a stage win (or two). I think we are bringing a pretty fast team with Kirsipuu, Kemps and Manan, but I’d love to see Adiq have a shot from a small group one day. Craig Lewis’ experience will be a big help and I’m hoping he and Adiq will find some quick chemistry and that will really be a good motivator.”

LTdL 2012 is organised by the National Sports Council as a mark of continuity to the organisation of the Ministry of Youth and Sports in 2010 and 2011 in collaboration with the Malaysian National Cycling Federation. The race maintains a 2.HC (Hors Classe) status and is recognised and sanctioned by the UCI and UCI Asia Tour. LTdL 2012 is expected to feature 22 professional teams.

The 10 day race begins on February 24 with Individual time trial along a 20.3 km course in Putrajaya to kick off the race; followed by stage 2 Putrajaya - Melaka (151.0km); Stage 3 Ayer Keroh - Parit Sulong (187.6km); Batu Pahat - Muar (169.4km); Ayer Keroh - Pandan Indah (187.2km); Proton Shah Alam - Genting Highlands (108km); Bentong - Kuantan (215.8km); Pekan - Chukai (100.8km); Kemasik - Kuala Terengganu (169.4km) dan Tasik Kenyir - Kuala Terengganu (116.6km).

THE CHAMPION SYSTEM TEAM FOR THE 2012 LE TOUR DE LANGKAWI:

CHRIS BUTLER (USA), AARON KEMPS (AUS), JAAN KIRSIPUU (EST), CRAIG LEWIS (USA), ANUAR MANAN (MAL) and MOHD ADIQ HUSAINIE OTHMAN (MAL)

-Ends -

No comments:

Post a Comment